I've made Snickerdoodles before and have always kind of liked them. But when I came across this recipe for Brown Butter Snickerdoodles, I was intrigued. Brown butter in a cookie? I had to try them. And let me tell you they were incredibly good. The brown butter adds just a hint of nutty flavor and the cookie turned out delightfully chewy and soft. They were a hit around here and I will definitely be making them again.
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 3/4 cups flour, sifted
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1. In a small saucepan, melt butter at medium heat. Reduce to simmer and stir until butter turns golden brown. Remove from heat and let cool.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together cooled butter, sugar and eggs.
3. Sift dry ingredients together and stir into wet mixture. Cover bowl and chill dough in refrigerator until firm.
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
5. Roll dough into small balls (about 1 1/2 Tbsp. of dough per ball). Roll balls in mixture of cinnamon and sugar, and place on ungreased baking sheet.
6. Bake 8-10 minutes until cookies are flattened and crinkly.
Yield: 2 to 3 dozen