Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Tuesday: Brown Butter Snickerdoodles


These cookies are incredibly delicious! Just ask me how many I ate the day I made them. Actually, you probably don't want to know! It was an embarrassing amount.

I've made Snickerdoodles before and have always kind of liked them. But when I came across this recipe for Brown Butter Snickerdoodles, I was intrigued. Brown butter in a cookie? I had to try them. And let me tell you they were incredibly good. The brown butter adds just a hint of nutty flavor and the cookie turned out delightfully chewy and soft. They were a hit around here and I will definitely be making them again.


Brown Butter Snickerdoodles


Cookie:
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 3/4 cups flour, sifted
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Rolling Mixture:
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon

1. In a small saucepan, melt butter at medium heat. Reduce to simmer and stir until butter turns golden brown. Remove from heat and let cool.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together cooled butter, sugar and eggs.

3. Sift dry ingredients together and stir into wet mixture. Cover bowl and chill dough in refrigerator until firm.

4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

5. Roll dough into small balls (about 1 1/2 Tbsp. of dough per ball). Roll balls in mixture of cinnamon and sugar, and place on ungreased baking sheet.

6. Bake 8-10 minutes until cookies are flattened and crinkly.

Yield: 2 to 3 dozen

9 comments:

  1. Mmmm... those sound really tasty! Thanks for sharing with TATT. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm intrigued! We love snickerdoodles, but I've never had brown butter in them. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. we love snickerdoodles and these sound great

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I love snickerdoodles so I must try these out!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tried to brown butter - it sounds yummy though! Can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love snickerdoodles! This is definetly going on my list of recipes to try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't made snickerdoodles in years! I'm looking forward to trying your recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love snickerdoodles and will be trying this version. I do love my sweets. My recipe today is more a food decoration that dessert, edible flowers. I have fun making them and too much fun eating them. That is why I only cook sweets when I am doing or going to a party to share. Next party will have your cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yummm! We love snickerdoodles in our house. I even made eggnog snickerdoodles around the holidays. I'll have to give these a try. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments...so feel free to leave them!