Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tasty Tuesday: Homemade Grape-nuts Cereal

Ready to bake.

This healthy cereal is so good...in fact right now I'm kind of addicted to it. It's crunchy, slightly sweet and also is perfect mixed with homemade granola for a little added crunch. This recipe does make a large amount of grape-nuts, but they freeze wonderfully, so no worries!

Homemade Grape-nuts Cereal
2 1/4 lbs. brown sugar
3 1/2 lbs. whole wheat flour
3/4 cup oil
3 cups sour cream (I use yogurt)
1 tbsp. vanilla
1 tbsp. salt
1 tbsp. baking soda
2 cups buttermilk

Mix together all ingredients except buttermilk. Mix well, then gradually stir in the buttermilk. Divide dough onto 3 greased cookie sheets and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. When cool, crumble in blender* and then dry in warm oven (200 to 225 degrees), stirring occasionally.

* When the pans are somewhat cool I cut the "cookies" up into pieces and turn them over allowing the cookie to cool faster. Once cool, I blend a few pieces at a time...if you do too many pieces, it won't blend very easily.

The finished product.

For other recipe ideas, check out Balancing Beauty and Bedlam's Tasty Tuesday, Blessed with Grace's Tempt my Tummy Tuesday,and All the Small Stuff's Tuesday's at the Table.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I had no idea it was possible to make your own Grape Nuts cereal. Looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is FASCINATING! Personally, I love Grape Nuts, so I'm thrilled to know that I can make my own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to try this, hopefully tomorrow. I make granola but have never tried grape nuts. I'm going to grind my own wheat, too. See how it works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone tell me to stop eating grape nuts now! lol Wow, are they ever good! I did use my own fresh ground wheat and they are INCREDIBLE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Murf, thanks for coming back and letting me know what you thought of them. Didn't I say that I was addicted? I tried to warn you! :) Glad you like them and that they turned out.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments...so feel free to leave them!