Friday, August 14, 2009

Freecycle


Have you ever heard of Freecycle? If not I highly recommend you check it out.

I first heard of Freecycle from my husband's aunt and uncle who live in England. They mentioned in an email that they got some furniture from Freecycle. Being the curious person that I am, I googled it and was amazed at what I discovered.

Here is a brief definition of Freecycle from their website:
It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. It's all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills.

That pretty much sums it up. If you go to Freecycle you can search for a Freecycle group near you and then sign up. You'll then be able to access the list of items people are giving away and requesting. And the neat thing is, when an item is listed, the location is listed too so you can decide if it is worth your time and gas to pick it up. It is free to sign up, the only thing that they ask is that you give as well as receive. Makes perfect sense, I think.

We have gotten several items from Freecycle including 2 single beds, a very nice adjustable card table, and an exersaucer baby toy. And I have had fun giving away a number of items as well.

I honestly wish more people freecycled. Freecycling is so easy and allows others to be able to enjoy the things you no longer need. Every time I go walking here in the city on trash day I am appalled at what all people throw away. Perfectly good stuff is sitting by the curb waiting for the garbage truck. It is pathetic...and almost makes a "dumpster diver" out of me. Well, not quite. But it does really bother me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments...so feel free to leave them!