Friday, November 4, 2011

10 Tips for Wasting Less Food (Part Two)

Yesterday I posted the first five tips that I've used to waste less food. Now here are the other five:

6. Save those egg whites/yolks. I always hate when recipes call for just the yolk or white of an egg because then I have to figure out what to do with the rest of it! Did you know that you can substitute egg yolks and whites for a whole egg? One whole egg = 2 egg whites (may make baked goods less tender). One whole egg = two egg yolks (in sauces, custards, and cream fillings). Or if you don't like those ideas, simply throw the extra egg yolks or whites into your scrambled eggs. Trust me, you'll barely notice the difference!

7. Freeze extra grapes, bananas, strawberries. Frozen grapes are actually rather good and you can always throw the bananas and strawberries into smoothies.

8. Use that leftover coffee. Have you ever thought of freezing leftover coffee as ice cubes and using them in your iced coffee drinks or to cool down regular coffee? I also often use leftover coffee to make my own iced coffee. In fact, I often make a concentrate with the linked recipe. I simply mix the coffees and sugar together and put it in a jar in the fridge. Then whenever I want some iced coffee I fill a glass maybe 1 in. full of the concentrate and then fill the remainder with milk. Let me tell you, it's WAY to handy to have around!

9. Save that sour milk! Did you know that sour milk isn't actually harmful for you? If we have milk that goes sour I simply use it in recipes for pancakes or cake that call for buttermilk and it works like a charm. And if you can't use it right away, just freeze it and pull it out when you need some buttermilk.

10. Know what's in your cupboards, fridge and freezer. In other words, be organized. If you aren't, chances are you have food getting stale or unusable on you and you're throwing it out. And when you throw out food, in a sense it's like throwing out money.

I've found it helpful to make up a list of things to use up and then I look at that when you plan our meal or menu. For me it's much easier than trying to keep a mental list of things that need to get used.

What things do you do to cut back on food waste?

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Thank you for the tip about using sour milk as buttermilk! I have never known that.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments...so feel free to leave them!