This is the beginning of a series called Obtaining Coupons. I thought it would be helpful to look at the different ways that you can get coupons and also tips to do this well.
One of the ways that I have been able to get some great high-value or FREE product coupons is by contacting the manufacturer directly. Typically what I will do is think of a product I love then call the manufacturer and tell them why I love their product. Then I'll ask if they would have any coupons that they would be willing to send me to help me save on it. Most of the time they are more than willing to do so and often they will send multiple coupons.
I have also emailed companies as well but I don't seem to get as great a response when I do this, so I prefer calling. There have also been times where I didn't even tell them why I liked their product but just simply asked if they would be able to send me any coupons. When I did that I also didn't seem to get as high value coupons, but they usually still sent some.
A few other things...
Sample of what I might say when I contact a company:
"Hi, I was just calling because we love Cracker Barrel cheese but I rarely see coupons for it and I find it to be a bit expensive. Would it be possible for you to send me some coupons?"
Tips for requesting coupons:
* Be honest- don't just make up some reason you like their product.
* If you are loyal to their brand, tell them that. For instance, maybe you only buy Kraft mayo. Let them know that and explain that your family doesn't use anything else.
* Call while you are doing other household tasks. I often call while I am making dinner or folding laundry. That way if I have to hold for a bit, I really am not wasting my time.
* Find the companies contact info on the package or their website.
* Typically a company is willing to send you coupons every 6 mo. to a year. So you might find it helpful to keep track of when you contacted each company and how eager they were to send you coupons and/or what kind of coupons you received.
Here are some of the things that I've received coupons for:
Cracker Barrel cheese; Skintimate shave cream; Scott toilet tissue; Muir Glen products; and Turkey Hill ice cream and tea.
Have you ever requested coupons from a manufacturer? What was your experience like?