Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Tasty Tuesday: Homemade Cream Soup Mix

I've been trying to make more and more of my own foods, especially convenience foods, partly because it is more healthful and partly because it is less expensive. Recently I came across this Homemade Cream Soup Mix recipe and I love it! It so easy to make, both when you make it and when you use it in a recipe. It is also very inexpensive. I figured it cost me right around $ 0.25 to $0.30 per 1 serving (equivalent to 1 can).

Homemade Cream Soup Mix

2 cups instant nonfat dry milk powder
10 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup mashed potato flakes
1/4 cup chicken bouillon granules
2 tablespoons dried vegetable flakes*
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon white pepper

In a food processor or blender, combine all the ingredients; cover and process until vegetable flakes are finely chopped. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 1 year.

When ready to make whisk 1 1/3 cups water and 6 tablespoons soup mix together in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high, uncovered, for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes, stirring occasionally. For mushroom soup, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup sauteed sliced mushrooms; for celery soup, add 1/8 teaspoon celery salt or one sauteed sliced or chopped celery rib.

Update: If I'm using this in a casserole etc. I actually never add the mushrooms or celery- just use the plain cream soup and it tastes great. Easy as can be!

* So far I have been unable to find these, so the two times I made the mix, I just made it without. It still worked quite well!

For other recipe ideas, check out Balancing Beauty and Bedlam's Tasty Tuesday, Blessed with Grace's Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, and All the Small Stuff's Tuesday's at the Table.

6 comments:

  1. AWESOME!!! soup mix recipe.
    I have become a follower of your blog. Come by and visit so you can enter my GREAT!!! giveaway for a waffle maker.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to this because it would be so much healthier. What do you add to make cr of ckn soup?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I get so tired of all the sodium in the canned soups. I noticed a big difference when I switched to this.

    I don't add anything...the original recipe doesn't say to add chicken, but I suppose you could add some chopped chicken if you wanted to. The chicken bouillon makes it already have a chicken flavor.

    I'd love to know what you think of it after you try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great recipe to have! Thanks for linking your post to TMTT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. McCormick makes dried celery and you can find dried mushrooms in a Asian grocery store. I've been making the mix and adding vegetables according to the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to know, scrappinsam. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments...so feel free to leave them!