Friday, January 29, 2010

Please...Be a Responsible Consumer

The other day when I was at the checkout of my favorite CVS store, the clerk ringing me up wondered what I do with all this stuff I buy. She's a lady that often rings me up and really, I can't blame her for wondering. I mean seriously, how many people need four glucometers?

So anyway, I explained to her how I use coupons to get things for free and then proceeded to tell her briefly what I do with all the stuff I buy that I don't use myself. She responded, "That's good! At least you don't throw it all away." I was shocked! "Throw it away?" I said. "I'd never do that!" She went on to tell me about two customers who frequently shop there who buy all sorts of stuff like I do but then just throw it all out.

Now let me tell you, I was appalled! As you know, I am all for saving money. But I am not at all for saving money if it means that it is promoting waste. If you purchase items that you don't need simply because you can make $1 on them, fine. But then find a use for it. There are lots of things you can do with those moneymaker items that you don't want...and none of them include the trashcan.

So what can you do with the things that you buy that you don't want or need?

* Donate it to your local Salvation Army, Women's Shelter or other similar organizations
- if you contact these places, they usually willingly give you a list of items that they are more than glad for

* Give it to family or friends that can use it
- I keep my in-laws, my parent's and some of my friends supplied with toothpaste, shampoo, light bulbs, and occasionally other items because I get way more free than we could ever use.

* If nothing else, yardsale it for $0.25
- You already got it for free or made money on it, the least you can do is give someone else an incredible bargain and allow them to get some use out of the item.

Whatever you do, please...be a responsible consumer!

What do you do with surplus items or items that you don't want/need? I'd love to hear your ideas!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments...so feel free to leave them!