I'm usually one of those that sighs when merely thinking about dragging along food on a road trip, let alone actually do it. In fact, it has been a bit of a tension spot in our marriage at times. My husband thought we should pack some meals and I was not convinced it was such a wonderful idea. Don't hear me wrong, I was more than willing to pack a few snack items. You know, the usual fruit, chips, pretzels, cookies, etc. And if I was feeling really ambitious, I might even be fine making a few sandwiches to munch on. But that was the extent of it.
I'm not sure what struck, but this last trip that we took, I decided on my own, without my dear husband so much as even hinting at it, to pack all the food we would need. Period. My goal was not to have to buy anything unless we decided to splurge a bit and buy something (which we did!).
Perhaps there are some more of you that are like me and hate packing food for trips. If so, hopefully this will encourage you that it really can be pretty easy and *maybe* even kind of fun and yummy!
Here is what I took along:
* Chicken and Cheese Quesadillas
- simply made these up ahead of time and ate them cold, dipped in ranch dressing
* Lettuce Salad
- made individual salads in empty Cool Whip containers. I put the cheese and dressing in separate containers and waited to put them on until we were ready to eat.
* Frozen Peaches
- this doubled up as an ice pack!
* PB&J Sandwiches
- took each item individually and made them up when we were ready to eat
- again this doubled up as an ice pack
* Pumpkin muffins
* Hard Boiled Eggs with Salt
* Cheese and Pretzels
* Candy Bars
- from my FREE stash of course!
Other Items I took:
* Cheese Slicer
* Knives (2) for the PB&J
* Paper Plates
* Spoons (for yogurt, peaches and applesauce)
* Bag for Trash
* Wet Ones
-free from Rite Aid :)
I was amazed at how easy this all was. With a little bit of planning, I saved us quite a bit of money, not to mention road time, plus we ate pretty healthful. And on top of that, my husband was so impressed that he actually bought me a latte not once but twice! Hmmm...maybe I'll be doing this again?!
**Not sure what is up with Blogger...but it keeps making some of the font small. Not a big deal, just looks rather silly!