Thursday, October 22, 2009

How to Freeze Cheese

As I've been perusing blogs lately, I've seen a lot people asking whether or not you can freeze blocks of cheese. So far, I've not seen a good answer. It seems most people don't think you can unless you are going to use it to shred it later.

Well, my mother-in-law taught me how to freeze cheese in such a way that it is good to eat later. What usually happens to cheese that is frozen is that it gets crumbly, which makes in not so nice for simply eating. But if you follow the instructions below, you should have cheese that is not crumbly and very good to eat even after being frozen.

1. Wrap cheese in plastic wrap- make sure to cover well. I often do a double layer.
2. Next wrap in tin foil.
3. Then put in a plastic bag and seal well.
4. Freeze
5. When ready to use, remove from freezer and place on counter for 24 hours or until soft. Generally it doesn't take that long for me. It is soft when it is sort of flexible.

It is very important to not unwrap the cheese until it is "soft". That is what seems to help it not get crumbly. Also, I have found that Muenster and other softer cheeses still don't have a good texture but cheddar and other harder cheeses work fine.

Hope this can help you out!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments...so feel free to leave them!