Monday, August 29, 2011

Weekly Spending Summary

Well, since we were on vacation, I'm a little off schedule, so this post is actually my spending for 8/14 - 8/20.

Total Spent: $47.24
Total Saved with Coupons: $39.38
Total Saved with Sales: $28.52
Total Saved: $67.90

CVS:
$0 (gift card)
Saved with Coupons: $35.68
Saved with Sales: $22.28

My out of pocket for this would have been $3.77 had I not used a gift card that we earned through our credit card rewards program. I paid $3.99 for three of the packs of Huggies and $2.99 for the other one. And then to top it off, the Huggies was part of a promotion where if you spent $30 (before coupons) you got a $10 gas gift card. So I got that as well! The Twix and CVS bandages were free with coupons from the little CVS coupon printer machine in the store.

Giant: $7.20
Saved with Coupons: $1.70
Saved with Sales: $6.24

I've been watching for inexpensive grapes all summer because I've been wanting to make fruit slush. (I really need to post that recipe on here. It's such a refreshing thing to eat.) The sandwich flats are for our trip that we are taking. Here's my confession. I do not really enjoy cold sandwiches that much...unless they are made with sandwich thins. So when we go on trips that is one of the things I splurge on. I figure it is still cheaper and healthier than eating out!

Aldi: $12.92
I had to buy yet more sugar for canning. I'm planning to make applesauce in a couple of weeks and know I'll go through a lot then.


Walmart: $12.36
Saved with Coupons: $2.00

I decided to make my own marinara sauce this year. I'm skeptical that it was actually cheaper than buying it, but I enjoy doing that kind of thing AND I know what is in the stuff that I make. Plus, the homemade stuff is usually better than most of the brands that I can buy inexpensively. Anyway...that is what all the tomato paste was for. :) The fruit pectin was free after coupons. I'll save it and use it to make jelly next year.

Amazon: $14.76
This was for 96 oz. of honey, which in my opinion is a great price. I was really excited because I was almost out of honey and saw this deal. And hey, you can't beat getting honey shipped right to your door!

2 comments:

  1. Just an idea...I find that my cost for marinara sauce decreases if I use a recipe that does not contain tomato paste. But maybe if you are buying tomatoes, that wouldn't help much. I usually have tomatoes in abundance so it grates against a nerve to spend money for tomato paste.

    But maybe you love your recipe so much the cost is worth it.
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina, thanks for that. I know the paste does add significantly to the cost and it kind of galled me to use it. But how do you thicken your recipe? I tried using clear gel twice and it was awful both times. The first time I used instant clear gel not knowing better and the second time? I have no idea what went wrong. So I decided to try this recipe and just spend the extra. Do you have a recipe you love that is on your blog? (I'm really not addicted to this one.)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments...so feel free to leave them!