Friday, May 27, 2011

Book Review: The Chocolate Diaries


The most recent book that I received to review from WaterBrook Multnomah was The Chocolate Diaries by Karen Scalf Linamen. I admit, that this book is not the kind of book I'd typically pick up, but I thought I should give it a fair chance anyway, and I tried to do so.

The Chocolate Diaries is a quick, easy read that offers strategies for making life sweeter especially when things get tough. Linamen gives lots of tips for handling life's stresses well- many somehow include chocolate in the mix. Her tips include things such as using laughter, having a good cry, talking to a friend, and journaling. The book is filled with stories of people that have overcome hard times and interspersed throughout are people's varied answer to the question, "What's your secret to a sweeter journey on the rocky road of life?" At the end of each chapter there is also a recipe for something chocolate...many of which sounded quite delicious!

While The Chocolate Diaries was entertaining, it was pretty much merely that- entertaining. And at times I wasn't even that entertained, but rather found myself anxious to just get through the book. And while there were parts of it that felt encouraging, I found that I didn't really feel like I learned much at all from it and neither was I particularly encouraged.

Because of that, I would give The Chocolate Diaries 2 out of 5 stars.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of The Chocolate Diaries for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review, however all opinions are mine.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments...so feel free to leave them!